What's New in the Images Database

This topic contains 158 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  megan 6 hours, 7 minutes ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Author

megan

Today I looked at the Defense Logistics Agency and the Department of Justice – putting them in order and adding in more of Robin Nicholson’s wonderful contributions.

The Defense Intelligence Agency hasn’t responded to my request for information yet… 🙁

megan

More of Robin Nicholson’s contributions – the Office of Personnel Management (which administers all civilian employees of the US Government) and the Public Health Service, which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services. They have a lot of medals, I have put those we already had images of into the correct order, as well as adding the ones Robin sent.

These are all delightfully obscure awards, yet mark some outstanding – and unsung – public service. It’s a privilege to add them here.

megan

Don Wagner of the Soldiers Museum just contacted me to share an image from the museum’s collection. It’s the Merit Cross for the Defence of the State awarded by the Independent State of Slovakia that existed 1939-1945. This was awarded in at least 2 classes, Don’s medal is the second class. You can find it in the Independent State of Slovakia section, which is under Czechoslovakia in the Eastern Europe section of the Images Database.

It’s great when people send in pictures to enhance our collection here: thanks, Don, and… what have YOU got that’s missing here? Please share 🙂

megan

Guess what? I received another contribution this week! It’s the 2019 Medal of Distinction awarded by the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels to those Colonels who are active within the society, attend events or contribute to the Good Works Program. The specimen show was awarded to Colonel Khriss Urban who has wasted no time in photographing it and sending me the images. Thank you Colonel!

megan

As I have been adding the little known awards of the Indipendent State of Slovakia, which was only around 1939-1945 to my website, I thought I’d share some of these beauties with you, so I added the Order of Prince Priabin today. (Look under Czechoslovakia in the Images Database).

megan

Back to Robin Nicholson’s contributions, and the civilian awards of the Department of the Army. What with what he’s already posted to the Database, what he’s just sent me and a single image from my files we have a complete set! Look under DOD Civilian Awards in the Department of Defence section, there’s now a Department of the Army section. General awards, Deptartment of the Navy and Department of the Air Force ones are still all jumbled up, but that will change… not now, though, Doctor Who is about to air!

el_jefe52
    Participant

Megan,

I don’t have the DIA awards manual, so I went to Wikipedia to check on the DIA awards.  According to their ribbon chart (no information as of yet), it’s called DIA Excellent Service Medal (query_1).  I have contacted the DIA for any information on awards and their criteria with no response.

megan

They’ve not responded to me either (GRRR), hopefully they will be more responsive to a US citizen & tax-payer!

megan

Today I turned my attention to the civilian awards of the Department of the Navy. We have a full set, all from Robin Nicholson – some he uploaded himself to a previous iteration of the database, the rest I’ve added on his behalf – and you can find them under United States/Federal Awards/Department of Defense/Civilian Awards. Maybe I’ll get the Air Force ones done next time!

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login