Welcome! Please introduce yourselves.

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums About the OMSA Forum Welcome to the OMSA Forum Welcome! Please introduce yourselves.

This topic contains 87 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  megan 2 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author

claudenolen

I’m a new member in southern Illinois.

Here’s the version. I grew up in Virginia (and will always be a Virginian). I’m an Army veteran, family guy, motorcycle nut, VMI alumnus and I’m not afraid to cry. My interests are hereditary societies, military history, my family genealogy, pizza, and fuzzy things in my belly-button.

Although I am fascinated by medals, their stories and design -I’m honestly not a real collector. The only medals I have are my own military and hereditary society medals.

Claude

megan

Welcome to the happy throng, Claude.

Megan
    http://www.medals.org.uk/

Good Morning!
    My name is Anna, I currently reside in Virginia. I am interested in speaking with members here because I work with a substantial amount of military antiques and collectibles. I enjoy learning new things, and I like to share projects that I am working on, in order to get reliable feedback.

Have a wonderful day!

I’m a new member in southern Illinois.

Here’s the version. I grew up in Virginia (and will always be a Virginian). I’m an Army veteran, family guy, motorcycle nut, VMI alumnus and I’m not afraid to cry. My interests are hereditary societies, military history, my family genealogy, pizza, and fuzzy things in my belly-button.

Although I am fascinated by medals, their stories and design -I’m honestly not a real collector. The only medals I have are my own military and hereditary society medals.

Claude

Hi Claude!
    I just wanted to say that I grew up in Southern Illinois and now I live in Virginia! HAHA, small world! I enjoy genealogy myself and I am researching my family as well.
    -Anna
    (PS, I also like pizza. Not sure where you are in SOILL, but I suggest Quatros in Carbondale, Dimaggios in Christopher, and Walts in Marion)

claudenolen

Hi Claude!
    I just wanted to say that I grew up in Southern Illinois and now I live in Virginia! HAHA, small world! I enjoy genealogy myself and I am researching my family as well.
    -Anna
    (PS, I also like pizza. Not sure where you are in SOILL, but I suggest Quatros in Carbondale, Dimaggios in Christopher, and Walts in Marion)

Hi Anna,

I’m from the Charlottesville area, and now live in Marion (IL). I eat at Walts pretty frequently. My favorite Carbondale restaurant is Longbranch Cafe.

I’m also fascinated by military antiques; especially considering that a military antique! I have a few items from WWII that I’ve inherited, but I doubt they’re considered "antique."

Regards
    Claude

stephen j. shaw
    Participant

I’m Stephen Shaw #6225 for the past 19 yrs. I don’t have a British Medal research book & I’m looking for numismatic info on the Punjab Frontier Medal 1897-189; size, wt, designer, producer, # produced, etc, etc, any assistance is appreciated. `

John_Allgood
    Keymaster

I’m Stephen Shaw #6225 for the past 19 yrs. I don’t have a British Medal research book & I’m looking for numismatic info on the Punjab Frontier Medal 1897-189; size, wt, designer, producer, # produced, etc, etc, any assistance is appreciated. `

Stephen,

Here is some info I worked up on the numismatic information for a display I gave on that medal at an OMSA convention. I don’t readily have the weight of the medal at the moment.

The medal is 36 mm in diameter and was issued in both silver and bronze. The bronze version is showcased in this display. The suspension swivels and is of a floreate design. The medal has 2 types. The first type shows the crowned, veiled bust of Queen Victoria facing left with the text “VICTORIA REGINA ET IMPERATIX” around the monarch on the obverse. The second type obverse has King Edward VII, in Field Marshal’s uniform, facing left with the text “EDWARDUS VII REX IMPERATOR” around the monarch. The reverse of the medals also is in two types. Both reverses have a British and Indian soldier supporting the Royal Standard with “INDIA” on the left; on the first, Victorian type, “1895” is on the right while the second, Edwardian type, has no date. The first type obverse was designed by Sir Thomas Brock while the second obverse and reverse of both types was designed by George William de Saulles. The ribbon, originally issued in silk, is 32 mm and is crimson with 2 dark green stripes down the center. Modern variations of the ribbon are often in polyester and the color quality varies. In total 7 clasps were issued for the medal. As the Defence and Relief of Chitral clasps were initially thought to be the only awards, these clasps do not have the upper lugs. It should be noted that later clasps can appear with the lugs removed. Aside from the Chitral clasps, the earlier clasps will be closest to the suspension with later clasps added above.

As the medal was for campaigns in India, the India Office was responsible for the design, preparation, striking, naming and issue of the medal. The dies for the medal and clasps were manufactured at the Royal Mint and sent to the Calcutta mint in December 1896. Later replacement medals were manufactured at the Royal Mint.

rush79
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I’m Joris Vermeulen, the latest addition on the website and look forward on meeting you all and sharing experiences. I live in Belgium, Europe, 36 years old and I gained interest in medals and orders when I received my grandfathers’ and great-grandfathers medals when they died (25 years ago). But as I grow older, my interest peaked when I started to meet fellow collectors, about 5 years ago. My interests are mainly Serbian orders and medals (Kingdom Serbia and Yugoslavia), as Belgian orders and medals. It’s fascinating to learn about their history and how they evolved. And beautifull to watch too :)

megan

Welcome aboard!

Megan

richard lussier
    Participant

Hello, my name is Rick Lussier. I have been interested in the history and in the orders, medals and decorations of the Austro-Hungarian Empire for 50 years. For the last 40 years I have been a member of OMSA and have been conducting research on the awards of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. This research resulted in my writing an unpublished nine volume encyclopedias on the Orders, Medals and Decorations of the Austro-Hungarian Empire which is illustrated with 3,000 pictures. Upon completing the first draft of this work I began considering how I might share the information I had gathered with my fellow collectors. For the last year I have been in discussions with OMSA leadership regarding my desire to share the results of my research. These discussions have resulted in my being invited to participate in the OMSA Pilot Blog Program as the author of a blog dedicated to the orders, medals and decorations of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The publication of this blog on the OMSA web site commenced this week. Thus I invite you, if you have a general interest in Austro-Hungarian awards or if you have specific questions about them to visit the site and join me in a conversation regarding this fascinating area of collecting.

I look forward to corresponding with you

cecawthorne

Very much looking forward to working with you Rick in getting your information up and running on the website!

sirius
    Keymaster

Yes – good to have you onboard Rick.

Cheers, -Peter
    OMSA Director

megan

Welcome, Rick – and I’m certainly looking forwards to what you have to say about Austro-Hungarian ODM!

Megan

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login