War Cross / Croix de Guerre – TOE (Foreign Theaters)

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums French Medal Collecting French Medals post-1870 War Cross / Croix de Guerre – TOE (Foreign Theaters)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1,837 voices, and was last updated by  ed_haynes 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ed_haynes
    Participant

Croix de Guerre des Théâtres d’Opérations Extérieurs (TOE) / War Cross for Foreign Theaters of Operation

The original Croix de Guerre was intended for award for operations in metropolitan France. On 30 April 1921, a variety was established for services outside France, especially in the colonies.
    FR-CdG-TOE.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

panarion

Reinstated in the 1915 the CDG enabled distinctions such as " mentioned in Dispatches " and "unit citations" to be enabled in one decoration.

This sample from my collection was issued to a recipient who had received two ETOILES DE BRONZE ,(Bronze stars) on top of the medal to show he participated in active service and was also mentioned in dispatches twice … so the recipient was no slouch.

The reverse shows the word " theaters operations exterieurs" meaning he was in the service of France outside of her borders.

In other words I anticipate this is a decoration for a legionnaire or a colonial soldier

This medal is estimated to be from the 1930s , however if anyone is able to add to, or provide a different perspective in regards this medal that would be appreciated as French medals are not my strong point.
    Croix de guerre – colonial service (rev).png
    Croix de guerre – colonial service.png

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

This one is called the "Croix de guerre des théâtres d’opérations extérieurs" which translates into "war cross for foreign operational theaters". It was established on April 30, 1921.

The 2 bronze stars denote mentions at the regimental or brigade level.

The one thing helping in the dating is the way it is mounted. It is on a "mounture à boule", a "ball mount" which were the norm between the wars so your assessment as this being an earlier award makes some sense.

panarion

WOW! that is the first time I have ever been accused of making sense!

seriously, I do appreciate the feedback,I am glad mt assumptions were correct.

christophe

The one thing helping in the dating is the way it is mounted. It is on a "mounture à boule", a "ball mount" which were the norm between the wars so your assessment as this being an earlier award makes some sense.

I agree with Frank.

Ch.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login