Victoria Cross copy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3,584 voices, and was last updated by  kjf101 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kjf101

Hi all,
    Was wondering if anyone has seen the Victoria Cross copy put out by Hancocks who manufactures the VC? If you have seen it what do you think of it, is it worth the price, etc?
    I have one that I purchased from Hancocks and I like it and like the fact that it was made by the only manufacturer of the Victoria Cross.

Kevin

kjf101

Does anyone have an opinion on this forum?

jb floyd

Haven’t seen one, but I’m happy with the $25 copies made by London Stamp Exchange 20+ years ago. I’m about 99,000 pounds short of an original and don’t see much benefit in an expensive copy.

kjf101

Hi Jeff,
    I’ll bring mine down with me. I just thought it is made by the manufacturer to the same standards as the original. Kind of like having the original.

kevin

Frank Dutil
    Participant

I’ve seen the recent copy and in my opinion, like Jeff said, the older (15-20 years) copies were nicer and "crisper". I’ve only seen high res pics of the new one and as nice as it looks, it seems they deliberately made small changes to ensure it is never taken for anything else but a copy (to the trained eye). The older ones on the other hand, if it hadn’t been for the fact they had COPY deeply engraved on their reverse could’ve easily been taken for the real thing. I used to court mount medals and mounted 2 Canadian VCs, so I’ve seen the real McCoy.

kjf101

FD,
    Will youi be at the convention? I would liek to hear about the difference between Hancocks copy and an original.

kevin

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Neg, sorry… :( August is our busiest time of the year… It would take a miracle.

panarion

I have a $25.00 copy I got off EBAY and it looks exactly like the real thing. I have even scrutinized it for differences against photos from my range of medal books and there is none i can see. (except they are not named)

It has a good weight, crisp clean stamp and the ribbon is perfect.

I have framed mine and it looks very smart in my medal display cabinet .

Like another poster here i am a few zacs short of being able to obtain the real thing so my copy does really nicely and fills a void in the Commonwealth side of my collection.

Personally some of the replica medals coming out recently look OK as opposed to some of the early nasty Chinese knock-offs, there are give away’s but on the whole I am sure they would sit nicely in many collections

As long as people sell them as replicas and not pass them off as originals ( Unissued is the current term i see a lot) then you can actually get some fairly good medals to clean up a hole in a collection if the price of the real thing is outside your grasp.

That is my opinion only.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login