Unknown M.N.G. Medal

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  megan 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Great Scott!
    Participant

This just came in and I have not seen it before.

It came out of an estate close to New York so I am assuming it is from either Maine, Maryland or Massachusetts.  Of course it could be from Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri or Montana as well.  Unfortunately, I have not seen one like it before and I feel like all the “Faithful Service” or “Long Service” medals for these states have been documented.  The only exception is for Maryland.  There is 1 “unknown” medal that Ogletree says is a Type 1 Maryland State Service medal that probably does not have a ribbon but gives no further description.  That is the best guess I can come up with.  What do you all think?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

megan

Baffled… and it’s not in Robin Nicholson’s book either!

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Minnesota for sure! First Infantry Company E, 5 year faithful service medal. The two holes in the shield are all that is left of a cutout “1 E Co” silver monogram that was mounted there. The medal is listed as Fig 40 in William C. Williams book on Minnesota awards.

megan

Now we know what it is (thanks, Fred!), may we add it to the image database please, ‘Great Scott’?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login