The Royal Guelphic Order (1815-1837)

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums British Medal Collecting British Orders The Royal Guelphic Order (1815-1837)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Vlad Remizov 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

cecawthorne

This is a “first year issue” military Knights Badge of the Royal Guelphic Order, first founded by HRH the Prince Regent in 1815. These early badges are quite scarce and unusual in that they are hallmarked on the obverse balls of the cross in four places. One of these hallmarks, the letter “U”, is highlighted by the red circle which dates this badge as made in 1815.

The Knights Badge (K.H.) was quite often awarded for military service that did not justify the award of a Companion of the Bath (C.B.) or to more junior officers for distinguished service. These badges are found with both straight bar suspensions as well as “continental style” ring suspensions as with the example illustrated. This particular early example was very likely awarded to a King’s German Legion Officer for services in the Peninsular Campaigns and/or Waterloo. Upon the Death of King William in 1837, Hanover passed to Prince Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, and thereafter this order became strictly a Hanoverian award.

I would be interested in hearing from others that have illustrations or information on unusual examples of all classes of the Royal Guelphic Order.

Best Regards,
    Chris
    Guelphic Order III.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

medalnet
    Participant

Wow, this is a beautiful example of this amazing order!

medalnet
    Participant

This would be mine:

[attachment=1]HanGuelphRi1Kl1Modav.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]HanGuelphRi1Kl1Modrv.jpg[/attachment]
    HanGuelphRi1Kl1Modav.jpg
    HanGuelphRi1Kl1Modrv.jpg

Attachments:

medalnet
    Participant

…and a close up:

[attachment=0]HanGuelphRi1K1Modav.jpg[/attachment]
    HanGuelphRi1K1Modav.jpg

Attachments:

sirius
    Keymaster

The suspension on Chris’ example is different from the one Andreas has show. Is this to be expected?, maybe British vs. German manufacture? Or is one of them just not original?

Beautiful pieces both!

Cheers, -Peter

cecawthorne

Hello Sirius,

In my entire collecting days, I have only seen a total of (3) of these rare 1815 hallmarked English made K.H. badges as shown in the illustration. Two were straight bar suspensions and this one with a ring suspension. I suspect this ring suspension is contemporary, but was added after it was made by a King’s German Legion recipient to more match his other decorations in the ‘Continental Style’. Another maker of English made K.H. badges has a straight bar suspension.

All other K.H. badges from the 1815-1837 period that I have handled were made in Hanover and were a mix of straight bar suspensions and ring suspensions. All Guelphic badges from the Augustus reign after 1837 that I have seen are ring suspension.

Therefore, both badges are contemporary and do not detract from the desirability or value of these pieces. Thanks for your inquiry. Any other comments or information to shed light on the numismatic aspects of the Guelphic Order are most welcome.

Best Regards,
    Chris

rahul12

ust thought I would share another early British Order, this particular example being a first year issue Civil Companion of the Bath (C.B.) badge. The illustration shows the fine 18K workmanship, being hallmarked with an RG (Garrard & Co.) on the lower right obverse side of the badge. The first year of issue is indicated by the London stamp of a gothic style “M” as shown by the red circle on the obverse. If you want to read more about this fascinating order, I would highly suggest reading “The History of the Order of the Bath and its Insignia” by James C. Risk. He was a highly regarded expert on British Orders, an OMSA member and those of us who knew him miss his presence and his sage advice.

Vlad Remizov
    Participant

<p class=”MsoNormal”>Hello.</p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>I have a friend back in Europe who is a collector of antiques including medals and orders. At this moment he’s got the Brest Star of The Royal Guelphic Order GCH, which seems to be a little different from others – eight rays are not segmented but “snake” alike. He did ask me for help to find out the value of that Star. Unfortunately I’m not an expert in that field and my couple of day’s web research brings me nowhere. There is no such an image on the open source web I could find. But I’m sure there’re enough sources in your society for identifying such cases.  He is not desperate to sell it, unless the price is right, but would appreciate knowledge of the story behind that Order from the experts if it is possible.</p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>The Star’s dimension is 95mm by 95mm. If you need more pictures – just let me know.</p>

<p class=”MsoNormal”>Regards</p>

Vlad Remizov
    Participant

My apology – exceeded size.

Here are couple of images:

Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login