The One That Started It All

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums General Chat The One That Started It All

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  swag 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

KevinBeyer
    Participant

When I first started collecting medals I had no idea what I was doing.  I bought items that were interesting to me at the time and that were in my price range.  After a few years of collecting, I had a jumble of random items that really didn’t give me any sense of joy.

It was at that time I received the best advice, “Find your niche and stick with it.”  What might that be?  What can be my specialty that isn’t being collected by everyone else?  A fledgling internet exposed me to the overwhelming variety that is our hobby.  A new website called ‘eBay’ opened up a marketplace at my feet.  So, the search for something to call my own began.  And then one day, it hit me,…

While searching eBay for “medal” I came across one that said it was for an organization known as the Military Order of the Serpent.  What was that?  This medal was unlike anything I had ever seen.  It was amazing.  It was inspiring.  It was,… $172.50?!  I was prepared to spend double(!) the price of my largest purchase to date.  Twenty years ago, a crazy amount of money for me to spend was $30.  I was all set to bid in the auctions final minute when the price skyrocketed to more than 5x my highest offer.

I was heartbroken.  It was “the one that got away”.  But, I was determined to learn more about this organization, its insignia, and why somewhere, out in the world, two people were willing to spend a small fortune on this one, lone badge.  I was hooked and the Military Order of the Serpent became my niche.

What’s the story about what got you started your collection?

Kevin Beyer
    OMSA #7096

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

megan

Great story!

I don’t honesty know how or when I first got interested in medals (I was very young…) but I do know what set me on my current path of collecting information rather than things. As a child most of my pocket money went on medals. One day I picked up one that the vendor could only tell me was Pakistani. I took it round to the local museum, which had a small numismatics department, and asked their ‘medals expert’ – who didn’t know either, saying that it was probably something to do with Pakistan gaining independence given the date on it.

So I started researching and eventually discovered that I had a Pakistan Republic Medal 1956, which was instituted on 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan to commemorate the inauguration of the Republic of Pakistan on 23 March 1956.

I found the process of finding out exciting and, coupled with the realisation that a whole book on medals was cheaper than most of the medals in my pocket-money fuelled price range, I stopped collecting actual medals and concentrated on knowing about them instead!

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Back in 1964 I found 4 Prussian campaign medals on the bid board in my favorite Milwaukee coin shop which sparked my interest in German states medals. Then within a year or so at the annual Milwaukee Numismatic Society coin show I found 2 Wisconsin National Guard medals, Spanish-American War and Mexican Border Service medals, which hooked me for life.

swag
    Participant

Every so often when I was young, my dad would pull out his army medals and let me and my brother “examine” them. I was hooked on army medals after that. In 1984 I purchased a World War II victory medal at a surplus store in Seaside, California. I still have that medal. That first purchase (and my dad’s medals) set me on my path to collecting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login