The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael & St. George

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums British Medal Collecting British Orders The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael & St. George

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3,904 voices, and was last updated by  cecawthorne 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

cecawthorne

Hello All,

Some time ago, I had the opportunity to snap a picture of a beautiful GCMG Star of the Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George that I thought I would share with others here.

This star was quite scarce as it was a very early Rundell Bridge & Rundell made star as evident by the engraving on the back. What made it even more special was the engraved No. 2 on the back tracing its origins back to Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge and the son of George III. The workmanship was absolutely stunning.

Best Regards,
    Chris
    St. Michael & St. George Reduced.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

sirius
    Keymaster

Very nice Chris, so this is clearly pre-Victorian. It looks like he was invested with the GCMG in 1825. This from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Adolphus,_Duke_of_Cambridge

[attachment=0]Adolphus_Frederick_Duke_of_Cambridge.JPG[/attachment]
    Looks like he is wearing the star of the GCH in this portrait.

Cheers, -Peter
    Adolphus_Frederick_Duke_of_Cambridge.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

paul wood
    Participant

Chris,

Very nice to see and 1815-20 version of the Ionian Islands and Maltese Order of St Michael and George.

Paul

Jumpmaster
    Participant

A striking piece to be sure, I think this is one of the more beautiful orders out there, in all grades. Was there a period when Rundell Bridge & Rundell were the only manufacturers of the order or were there several appointed at one time? And when did they cease manufacturing the order?
    Tony

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Stunning! 8-)

Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login