The Arctic Star

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6,534 voices, and was last updated by  megan 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

megan

Finally, the British Government has decided to award a specific medal for those involved in Arctic Convoys during WW2.

Here’s a sketch:

[attachment=0]arctic-star-sketch.jpg[/attachment]

Megan
    http://www.medals.org.uk/
    arctic-star-sketch.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

At the risk of sounding a bit cold (no pun intended)… Why now when a mere handful of potential recipients survive…

christophe

Are the Brtiish allowed to wear the Soviet / Russian medals awarded for these convoys ?

Ch.

megan

Not officially… but as nobody qualifying is still serving, they are no longer subject to regulations. However the Royal British Legion (the umbrella veterans’ organisation) requires that only ‘official’ medals be worn on their parades, and they organise most Remembrance parades.

Megan
    http://www.medals.org.uk/

sirius
    Keymaster

Not officially… but as nobody qualifying is still serving, they are no longer subject to regulations.

I don’t believe this is correct, Megan. The Soviet 40th Anniversary Medal (and subsequent issues) is approved for wear by the Queen (Medal Year Book 203A). This medal was primarily awarded to RN and MN personnel serving in ships in Arctic Convoys, so the veterans were already once honored with an award, albeit foreign.

This new star opens a can of worms that nobody in official circles seems to have anticipated. What happens to the 5 star rule for a single recipient?, evidently thrown out the window. Has it been rescinded?, so others – not previously allowed a sixth medal can now wear them? Another major issue is that the medal bears the cypher of George VI, who never approved this medal.This must be a first for British medals, clearly it should have had the cypher of Queen EIIR who approved it. Blatantly wrong. The list goes on…….

Those interested can follow a similar thread on the BMF.

Cheers, -Peter

christophe

Hi Megan and Peter,

Many thanks for your comments and very valid points raised there. :D

What happens to the 5 star rule for a single recipient?, evidently thrown out the window.

Peter,
    Without asking too much to you, I think i can imagine what is this rule. Could you tell us more about this rule ?

Thanks and cheers.

Ch.

sirius
    Keymaster

Yes – no problem, Christophe.

In very basic terms. The British approved 8 different stars for campaigns during WWII.

1) 1939-45 star (clasp: )
    2) Atlantic star (clasp:
    or )
    3) Air Crew Europe star (clasp:
    or )
    4) Africa star (clasp:
    , , or 1)
    5) Pacific star (clasp:
    )
    6) Burma star (clasp:
    )
    7) Italy star
    8) France and Germany star (clasp:
    )

It was decided that a single person could only be awarded a maximum of 5 stars, any entitlement beyond that would result in a clasp to one of the previously awarded stars (shown above). Only one clasp per ribbon was allowed, which would be the first to be awarded after qualifying for the star. The actual qualification rules are somewhat complicated, but this is the essence.

As I understand it, the new star and the new clasp "" have been introduced with no view what-so-ever to these existing rules. Or at the minumum thay have not been made clear yet.

You can read more about the stars in the British or .

Cheers, -Peter

christophe

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for these informations. I really appreciate the effort. ;)

These rules are quite sophisticated, but every country has its own…

I am really astonished as well by the creation of this Arctic Star.

I am a Member of the OMRS as well. Will check if anything has been published on it…

Cheers.
    Ch.

drain
    Participant

Instead creating a new star, why don’t they just award the Polar Medal with a special clasp for Arctic Convoys 1939-45. I mean they awarded the Polar medal during world war 2 with clasps 1940-42 and 1944 to the crew of the RCMPV St. Roch. Some years ago they retroactively award the 1915 Naval General Service Medal and 1918 General Service Medal with clasp Canel Zone to qualifying veterans.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login