"Sponsor a New Member" Challenge

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums General Chat "Sponsor a New Member" Challenge

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  KevinBeyer 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

KevinBeyer
    Participant

Hello, All,

In the latest issue of JOMSA our President said that our membership numbers need to improve.  I think that statement is indicative of the state of collecting in general.  In the past several years I have noticed that whenever I go to militaria shows, I am the youngest person in the room; I am closing in on 50 fast.  I often wonder what will be the state of this hobby 5-10 years from now.

Seeing as so many of us are getting up there in age it is our responsibility to usher in the next generation of enthusiasts for this, our passion for medal collecting.  So, how do we make that happen?  Given that charity begins at home, talk to your son, or daughter.  Talk to your niece, or your nephew.  Talk to your grandson, or granddaughter.  Show them your collection.  Tell them about what drives you to do what you do.  Tell them that the first medal you obtained was given by a vet you know.  Or, that you paid 50c at a flea market for a faded WWII Victory medal.  Let them know more about who you are and what fuels your particular interest.  If you don’t have family, find someone in their teens, or their 20s and do the same.

Ok, so here is my challenge.  There are six months left in 2017.  Set aside $10/month from now until December.  Put cash in an envelope right next to your favorite piece.  I promise, you won’t even miss it.  At the end of the year, give the gift of a 1-year OMSA membership to someone.  Family member, friend, lonely kid who keeps to themselves, you get to choose.  Who knows?  This simple gesture could change a life forever.  And, if you’re lucky, that life could be yours.

Who’s with me?

Kevin Beyer
    OMSA #7096

KevinBeyer
    Participant

Hello again, all,

In June I posted an idea for increasing OMSA membership.  I don’t know if anyone read it, or, if they did read it, if anyone followed the suggestion.  Well, I did.  I put the money aside.  I thought about with whom I wanted to share my hobby.  And, I reached out.

Now, I do not have children.  There was no one in my immediate family to whom I could make an offer.  So, it was a stretch for me to find someone to ask if they would like a free-t0-them, 1 year OMSA membership.  And, to be completely transparent, the young woman whom I asked turned me down.  She thanked me, but said she weren’t interested.  Fair enough.

I spoke with a friend of mine who has three boys.  She was not aware that I am a medal collector.  I asked her if any of her children were interested in history.  I then explained that I was and that I pursue that interest through my membership in OMSA.  She told me that her eldest son was a huge history fanatic and that she thought he would love to learn more.  So, when I renew my membership in January, I will also be gifting a new membership to a bright eyed and interested young person.

How about you?

Kevin
    OMSA #7096

KevinBeyer
    Participant

Well, here we are in the middle of 2018.  Does anyone want to try this again?  Save $10/month until Christmas and then give the gift of an OMSA 1-year membership to some young person.  Imagine the strength of our organization if we all did this.

Kevin, OMSA#7096

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login