SCANS ADDED : 1st L.R.V. – 1884 – 1889 Scottish Medal

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums British Medal Collecting British Medals pre-1914 SCANS ADDED : 1st L.R.V. – 1884 – 1889 Scottish Medal

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1,172 voices, and was last updated by  dpast32 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

dpast32

Hello Folks, I’ve scaled back my U.K. medal collecting lately as I was just getting way too diversified. I did keep all the groups I had, but just haven’t picked up any additions. However, I did obtain an interesting dual nationality medal group recently, & would like a little assistance in sorting it out. My primary collecting interest is any identified medal(s) & militaria related to the U.S. State of Rhode Island. The other day, I picked up a 3 piece marksmanship related group to a former member of the Rhode Island Militia, who served with them from 1905 until his retirement as a full Colonel in 1922. 2 of the medals are of the usual variety, named & dated variants of R.I. Militia Marksmanship awards. The 3rd medal is the one I’m seeking some help in identityfing. It’s named to: "Pvt. R. BAIN, 1884 – 1889", & is attributed to: "1st L.R.V. & H.M. Guard" From what I’ve been able to discern, it may be a type of shooting / marksmanship medal of the "1st Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers", a Scottish Militia unit. I’ve conducted a brief bit of research on ROBERT BAIN, & learned that he was born on 02 Sept. 1866 in Glasgow, a son of Robert & Mary (Craig) Bain. He emmigrated to the USA in 1889, & remained here until he passed away in 1946. If anyone has ANY information about either this Scottish award, and or Robert Bain, I would very much appreciated hearing from them. In addition to documenting the type & origin of this medal, I’m also interested in learning it’s current collector’s market value. Not for any other reason than I did pay somewhat high for the group !! ( Hopefully not way too high ? ) Oh well, I did want it, & it was an interesting group, sooo. Please note that I did try to include an image of it’s obv. & rev., but I didn’t have much luck. If anyone would like me to E-mail them some scans, please just ask. THANKS in advance for any & all replies.

Best, Dom Pastore Jr. ( dpast32@aol.com )
    Bain Photo-1.jpg
    Bain Photo-2.jpg
    Bain Photo-3.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login