road to Hell Paved with Good Intentions

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums General Chat road to Hell Paved with Good Intentions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  megan 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

fred j borgmann
    Participant

“The Road to Hell is Paved With Good Intentions” I’m sure we have all heard that one before. This month I had it proven to me in Washington D.C. I self published my book on Wisconsin Medals, about half of which covers Wisconsin National Guard awards about three years ago so now I thought it would be nice to donate a few copies to the right places. The Smithsonian would not talk to me without an appointment so I emailed them one month before my trip. There is also a National Guard Museum in D.C. to whom I offered a free copy with a link to a detailed description. The N.G. Museum rejected my offer saying that they all ready “had enough books about medals”. OK well at least they gave me the courtesy of a reply which is more than I got from the Smithsonian! Makes me wonder what Pres. Trump will find when he finally drains that swamp, none of my books for sure.

megan

Churlish lot… it’s not as if you were trying to sell them copies!

Maybe I had better come up with a really obscure question about Wisconsin NG medals for the NG museum…

Is there a copy in the Library of Congress yet?

fred j borgmann
    Participant

No there isn’t Megan. Back when I published it they wanted three copies and $100+ so I rejected that idea. I will never pay for the right to donate especially when they demand 3 copies. They do have a copy of my first book but that was 30 years ago when they were not so greedy. I have given a few to local libraries etc. who were grateful. Fred

megan

So they wanted freebies and money as well? Ouch!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login