This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Archie Eisensmith 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

doc riley

The one thing that has affected me and many others is the extreme increase in the cost of Soviet ODMs. Has this also affected the price of ODMs of Imperial, Russian Federation and Former Soviet Republics? Have the prices hit your collecting?

:D Doc

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Affected it? It "almost" convinced me NOT to seek out Russian orders & decorations anymore…

I could kick myself though… I was stationed in Germany just after the wall fell… Everything was available for ridiculously low prices but I had not started going for Russian or Soviet items yet. AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!

Now I just take my time and shop around…

doc riley

——————————————————————————–

I thought that my days of collecting Soviet ODMs was over. However, I have been able to find some good deals on Red Stars, BM & CSM medals. Also, At the GMIC forum, prices for Imperial Russian ODMs at auction was discussed. It seems that most of the items were back to "normal. The exception being St. Anne etc commanding the new Moscow prices. So, maybe there is hope. PATIENCE is the order of the day.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

I’ve made a few friends among the Russian community here. Many of them are veterans and tell me where to go in Russia to find what I want… Now all I need is a trip there. *SIGH*

Hopefully in the next few years, when the wife get’s tired of France and Germany…

doc riley

Are prices on Soviet ODMs actually coming down? I’ve been hearing rumblings that prices are starting to come down. I’m not so sure. What do you think?

ed_haynes
    Participant

The emergence of large numbers of financially well-endowed Russian collectors/investors/accumulators has certainly caused a massive run-up in prices on both Soviet and Tsarist material. Dealers, being rational folks, have reflected auction pricing. Things are getting back toward pre-1991 prices, even when adjusted for inflation. The rise of online auctions has also driven prices up, as items (usually of dubious authenticity) have added fuel to the market. Remember ECON 101.

This is complicated (for many of us) by the aggressive enforcement of Ruissian law which does not allow the export of ODM from Russia. (And there are horror stories here; do not plan on getting ANYTHING out.) Therefore, whatever goes back to The Motherland, will stay back in The Motherland (though many auction purchases, I am told, go to bank valuts in Switzerland). On one level, this might not be a bad thing. If it is a real recapture and reembrace of Soviet/Russian history, it is hard to complain. But when you see the display in museums of mostly fakes and the aggressive erasure of any history from 1917 to 1991 you have to wonder, and worry at ahat the re-Tsarification means.

The collapse of the US Dollar (it is better in recent days, or are all currencies now in free-fall?) makes things look more expensive to us. When viewed in Euros or Roubles, the picture is more complex.

There are, in the next few days, several MAJOR auctions of Soviet material. In a week or two there will be a much better picture of where the prices are going and what the new global depression means for ODM pricing. Not as if any of us had any money to use for acquisitions anyway . . .

Frank Dutil
    Participant

I receive auction catalogs from Europe almost on a monthly basis… So far, no price drop at all. Matter of fact, some items like the Cross of St Georges or the Orders of Glory are getting ridiculously expensive

doc riley

One can only hope that the rumors come true I would LOVE to get back to collecting Soviet ODMs.

ed_haynes
    Participant

So true. Have a new group on the way now and I always think: "Given the prices, this will be my last."

Archie Eisensmith
    Participant

Yes i read your blog its so inter fairing thing in the economic of any country. I really like to tell that in every thing prices changed effect the economic of country and their citizens because there are all kind of people living there writing a movie review even they are poor even they are rich.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.