Pre WW1 UK medal bar with the Portugal and Spanish awards

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums British Medal Collecting British Medals pre-1914 Pre WW1 UK medal bar with the Portugal and Spanish awards

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bobt 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

noor
    Participant

Hi all,

Maybe some of fellow collectors from Spain and Portugal can help with the medal bar below. I obtained this one and it would be relevant to put it up here as well.

This medal bar holds:

– King George V Coronation medal, 1911
    – Spanish Cross of Order of Military Merit (peacetime ribbon)
    – Portugal Don Carlos I Coronation Medal, 1889 (awarded from 1908) –wrong way around.

Like some British collector said, owner of this set was probably member of British Royal Household (with some Portugal connection?), clerk in the British Embassy or crew member of Royal Yacht.

Maybe someone here knows exact criteria’s, how often at this time Cross of Spanish Military Merit Order and Portugal Don Carlos I Coronation Medal was awarded to British, etc? Also are there any lists of recipients (London Gazette) and is there any chance to ID that set? Every information piece would help!

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Noor

jimbo66
    Participant

Dear Timo, I believe that this little group may have belonged to Bandmaster Joseph Manuel Bilton of the Royal Horse Guards. Sometime ago I purchased a group to Bilton comprising the following medals;
    Queen’s South Africa Medal with clasps CAPE COLONY, SOUTH AFRICA 1901 (3551 BANDMASTER M. BILTON. 17TH LANCERS.); British War Medal & Allied Victory Medal (1097 W.O.CL.1. J.M. BILTON. R.H.GDS.) and Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal, Edward VII (3556 BANDMASTER J.M. BILTON. 17TH LANCERS.). I knew at the time that some of his un-named medals were missing including the 1911 Coronation Medal and the Spanish Order of Military Merit and I also had an idea their may have been another medal but did not know what was? Does this seem too much of a coincidence?
    Kind regards, Jim Lees – new member

noor
    Participant

Thank you very much for your replay!

Thanks,

Timo

bobt
    Participant

J.M.Bilton was my wife’s great grandfather.  Any further information or photographs relating to the medals would be of interest to me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login