Order of the Liberation / Ordre de la Libération

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums French Medal Collecting French Orders post-1870 Order of the Liberation / Ordre de la Libération

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5,063 voices, and was last updated by  Christophe 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Christophe
    Participant

Ordre de la Libération / Order of the Liberation

The Order of the Liberation has been insituted by General Charles de Gaulle on 16 November 1940.

This Order is a reward to those, military or civil, who had exceptional services for the liberation of France and its territories.

The Order has one class only, and its members are called "Compagnons de la Libération" (Companions of the Liberation). This name has been adopted by decree on 29 January 1941; their first name was "Croisés de la Libération" (Crusaders of the Liberation).

In the order of precedence, this Order is the second one, just after the Légion d’Honneur and before the Médaille Militaire (Military Medal).

This Order is no more awarded since 23 January 1946. It will therefore one day be extinguished. The Order of the Liberation ever had only one Great Master : Charles de Gaulle.

Today, less than 45 Companions are still alive.
    See this thread :
    viewtopic.php?f=50&t=354

1059 Companions have been awarded the Order of the Liberation, amongst them 238 posthumously. General de Gaulle (who alone could awarded it after January 1946) awarded two additional Orders : Sir Winston Churchill on 18 June 1958, and King George VI of England, on 2 April 1960. 5 cities and 18 combat units have also been awarded the Order.

The first Crosses have been made in London, and locally in Africa. A first patent of the ribbon had diagonal black stripes.

Ch.

Pic : rortiz – OMSA Medal Database.
    liberation2tar.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jim barker
    Participant

Was there not a fourragere created a few years ago for those military units that were awarded the order?

Jim

felix

Yes, you’re right. Instituted in 1996.

usmcgungho

Thanks for sharing that. It also appears that it is one of those unusual medal designs that is shaped in a square as compared to the circular planchets.

Dick

ed_haynes
    Participant

Actually, I can’t think of any simple circular orders. Are there any?

Christophe
    Participant

In France, I can’t see any order with a strict simple circular shape. Elsewhere ?

Ch.

ed_haynes
    Participant

No place I can think of. Some orders have (had) attached/affiliated medals, but not, strictly speaking, the ‘order’.

And, moreover, many places have non-circular medals, but that’s another topic . . . .
    513-o.jpg

Attachments:

Christophe
    Participant

That’s for example the case of the Médaille de la Résistance (Resistance Medal) affiliated to the Order of the Liberation.

Ch.

ed_haynes
    Participant

Good example!

Christophe
    Participant

Here it is :

Pic : FDutil – OMSA Medal Database.
    medaille_de_la_Resistance.jpg

Attachments:

felix

Actually, I can’t think of any simple circular orders. Are there any?

I take a look at the Werlich’s book and found :

Botswana presidential order of Honour
    Bulgaria people’s order of labor
    Bulgaria order of Cyril and Methodius
    Dahomey order of Social Merit
    Dahomey order of agricultural Merit
    Germany (IIIrd Reich) Blood order
    Lebanon order of Merit
    Lesotho order of Dignity
    Morocco order of Military Merit
    Nepal order of Nepal-Tara

Not in the Werlich :

Monaco order of Cultural Merit
    Tunisia order of National Cultural Merit

Christophe
    Participant

Hi François-Xavier,

Good job. I did not even think about one easy to remember : the Blood Order. Good job. Here in berlin, I have not the Werlich with me… But will go through it as soon as I’m back in Paris.

But, let’s admit they are quite few…

Cheers.

Ch.

ed_haynes
    Participant

Perhaps. Let me dig out Wehrlich and see.

Some of these (the Nazi Blood Order for example) may be called "orders" but aren’t.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Hey all! I’m still in Paris (made an AWESOME acquisition, will share with you on RTB), I have the fourragère, I’ll post a pic next weekend when I get back home.

Christophe
    Participant

You are in Paris, while I’m in Berlin… We we never succeed in meeting us… How long will you stay in Paris ?

Ch.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login