Order of the Legion of Honor / Ordre de la Légion d’Honneur

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums French Medal Collecting French Orders post-1870 Order of the Legion of Honor / Ordre de la Légion d’Honneur

This topic contains 60 replies, has 12,176 voices, and was last updated by  Christophe 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

felix

Since the reinstitution of the Republic in France in 1870, three differents types of the Legion of honor are known. They are named following the Republic during which they were created even if the dates don’t totally coincide.

: From november 8 1870 until February 27 1951.
    : Head of the goddess Ceres surrounded by a blue circle with the inscription "REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE" (french republic) over the date 1870.
    : A flag crossed with a standard surrounded by a blue circle with the inscription "HONNEUR ET PATRIE" (honor and fatherland) over two crossed laurel branches.

: From February 27 1951 until November 28 1962.
    : Same as the former type but the 1870 date was withdrawn for a star. In the french mind, 1870 was the date of a defeat and not of the reinstitution of the republic. The same modification was made on the Military medal.
    : Same as the former type

: Since November 28 1962
    : Same as the former type.
    : Same as the former type but the laurel branches were withdrawn for the inscription "29 FLOREAL AN X" (May 19 1802 in the french republican calendar), date of the institution of the order.

Some IVth and Vth republics legions of honor are known with three stars instead of one on the averse, that’s just a maker fantasy and means nothing.
    LHV3et.jpg
    LHrv.jpg
    LHav.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Christophe
    Participant

This is excellent !! Many thanks FX. :D

Cheers.

Ch.

Anonymous

Checking Légion d’honneur awards
    Does anyone know how to research awards of the LdH to French units?

My great-uncle Marcel Verzieux was an officer of Engineers 1914-18, and was awarded this decoration, which is in my collection. He also received (from photographic evidence) the Croix de Guerre avec étoile (and would have added a Palme for his LdH).

Unfortunately that side of the family is poorly documented, and since neither he nor his sister married, and his nephew was killed in 1918 as a pilot, I haven’t had any luck turning up a family member.

It is a rare family name, and apparently he was the only Verzieux in the French Army to be wounded or decorated.

j. mcculloch

Salut!
    Try Prosper Keating over at the British "Gentlemans’ Military Interest Club" site. Apparently the French issued many books with the citations of these medals printed for those killed and wounded. The archives are intact.
    http://www.gmic.co.uk

Look in "international" and send him an email.
    Bon Chance Mes Amis.

felix

Hello,

I made a quick search on the Leonore database (for the Legion of honor) and on "Mémoire des Hommes" (french KIA) but couldn’t find any Verzieux. Could you post the photo please. Never saw a Legion of honor with palm, to my knowledge, only belgian orders sometimes bear a pealm.

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/documentation/leonore/pres.htm

http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/

frivilig
    Participant

I had meant to post this title earlier when the discussion was fresher, however the vicissitudes of moving meant it was packed in a box. The box and book were re-found last week. The following vintage title may prove interesting to those researching WW I American Legionnaires. The book is filled with hundreds of names with short biographies of their merits.

, Compiled by James Howard Gore, W. F. Roberts Co, Washington, 1920.

It can also be viewed at: http://www.archive.org/details/american … 00goreiala

http://www.archive.org/stream/americanl … a_djvu.txt

drain
    Participant

I recently read in a local paper about two area World War 2 Veterans, who recieved the French Legion d’Honneur, Chevalier for servive to France during World War 2 and I was wondering would they also be awarded the Croix de Guerre, 1939-1945. I remember reading that whenever someone was award the French Legion d’Honneur, (any grade) or the Medaille Militaire, in World War 1 or World War 2, they automatically recieved either the 1914-1918 (WW1) or 1939-1945 (WW2) Croix de Guerre (with palm at least)?

felix

The answer is no.

The Croix de guerre is awarded for a specific act of bravery, it is not a service award, so they only receive the Légion d’honneur.

During the war when the Légion d’honneur was awarded for service, the Croix de guerre was not given.

drain
    Participant

Thanks, Felix
    I keep that in mind and my growing knowledge about non-US Medals. Thou it is strange that everyone I encounter that has been awarded the Légion d’honneur during the war years also has the Croix de Guerre.

felix

That’s because during the war the Légion d’honneur was mostly given for bravery in the field, in this case the croix de guerre is given too, but don’t forget that this order is given for distinguished service or career to military and civilians.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

I just received my 1st XMas present (2011) from the lovely little wife… 8-) (The 2nd is coming from Russia.) Bless her little heart!

[attachment=0]comm legion honneur.jpg[/attachment]
    comm legion honneur.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Henk-Willem
    Participant

I can only say the same as last year’s Christmas: Wonderfull Christmas present!!!

Christophe
    Participant

Hi Frank,

Nice one !! :)
    What is the metal ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Aucune foutue idée… :oops:

In English, no bloody clue…

Christophe
    Participant

No metal mark ?

Ch.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login