OMSA Website discussion

This topic contains 62 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Clyde Tinklepaugh 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author

cecawthorne

Hello Lukasz,

A couple of comments in response to your questions:

We have archived the old forum and are "mining" the best of the old information over time to post into the new website. Doc Riley has taken the lead on this effort as evidenced by his buildup of the Soviet posts in the new forum over the last week.

With regards to technical issues on the website, you can post them within this section or you can PM any of the website administrators or moderators of the forum and we will respond accordingly. We have been systematically making adjustments over the past week as would be typical with a new launch of this nature.

Best Regards,
    Chris

lukasz gaszewski
    Participant

Thank you Chris. I hope the new website will be at least as successful as the old one! :D

Lukasz

lukasz gaszewski
    Participant

Hi to all,

interesting (very interesting) to notice the names of the recipients of the OMSA awards. :D This was not the case in the former website. Bravo !! ;)

Just a remark : the MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL (MSM) picture is missing…

Bravo again !!

Cheers.

Ch.

Where are they?

John_Allgood
    Keymaster

There is a lot of information on the website itself. You can access the website from the toobar at the top of this forum. The listing of all the OMSA awards and who was awarded them is in the "About Us" section. Please check out the website as you will find a lot of useful information there.

FYI, if you look at the main page of the website you will notice that you can log in there. Some may find it easier to use that as a bookmarked page. We will have announcements on the front page of the main website. As you are scrolling through the various pages there you will also notice a box on the right hand side that shows recent posts on the forum. We intend on making the whole site useful and full of information, not just the forum. The forum is a great place and important but only a part of the whole site.

John

christophe

[Where are they?

Lukasz,

Please, have a look at the front page, here :

Welcome to the Orders and Medals Society of America (OMSA)
    As a member of OMSA, you have the opportunity to participate in and use the following activities:

•Journal of the Orders and Medals Society : currently a color, 52-page, six-times-a-year scholarly journal devoted exclusively to the hobby.
    •The OMSA Ribbon Bank: access to more than 1,800 different ribbons, devices, and ribbon-related items covering 102 countries and 41 states.
    •The OMSA Library : books, pamphlets, and vertical file materials related to orders, decorations, and medals of the world.
    •OMSA Annual Conventions : opportunity to gather socially, exhibit items from their collection, attend seminars, participate in round-table discussions and to acquire new medals for the collection.
    •The OMSA Publications Program : published material on subjects of medallic interest.
    •The society has developed a complete honors program and set of Awards for service by members and exhibition competition at its annual conventions.
    •Current Society officers

Cheers.

Ch.

john f.
    Participant

opps…double post :oops:

john f.
    Participant

Any chance of getting the "Thank you" button added? This would cut down on the useless but polite "thank you" posts that add nothing to the discussion and make threads longer than they need to be?

Also when posting photos the system automatic sorts and adds your pics by alphanumeric sequence. Anyway of turnig off that feature in order to allow pics to be posted as they are added?

sirius
    Keymaster

….
    Also when posting photos the system automatic sorts and adds your pics by alphanumeric sequence. Anyway of turnig off that feature in order to allow pics to be posted as they are added?

Images can be placed in-line anywhere you want, just us the "place in-line" button. You will have to set the cursor position before you hit this button, otherwise it will go right at the beginning (which seems like a bug). But it is certainly possibly to control where images go. Hope this helps.

Cheers, -Peter

john f.
    Participant

Images can be placed in-line anywhere you want, just us the "place in-line" button. You will have to set the cursor position before you hit this button, otherwise it will go right at the beginning (which seems like a bug). But it is certainly possibly to control where images go. Hope this helps.

Yes, it helped a lot! I didn’t realize until now what the "place in-line" feature was all about. Old dog, new trick. ;)

So what are the chances of the return of the "Thank You" button?

sirius
    Keymaster

I’m not sure the "Thank you" button is possible within phpBB, the old Forum used Vbulletin. We’re looking at it, but I think the jury is still out on how useful it would be.

Cheers, -Peter

megan

It’s been a while since I used phpBB but I’ll have a delve and see if there’s any easy fix I can recommend to the web team.

rdave
    Participant

Re: OMSA Website discussion

Postby CECawthorne » 2011 Jun Tue 7:55
    Hello Lukasz,

We have archived the old forum and are "mining" the best of the old information over time to post into the new website. Doc Riley has taken the lead on this effort as evidenced by his buildup of the Soviet posts in the new forum over the last week.

With regards to technical issues on the website, you can post them within this section or you can PM any of the website administrators or moderators of the forum and we will respond accordingly. We have been systematically making adjustments over the past week as would be typical with a new launch of this nature.

Best Regards,
    Chris
    OMSA Director

It’s been a while since the new website has been up, so I assume that most of the transition is done.

However, there is lots of good information from the old forum that so far is lost (for example today I was looking for some of the old discussions on the MOH and Stolen Valor regulations – and this is just gone now). Since I don’t really expect for a "mining operation" to have enough dedicated resources to get everything (or even most) that might be useful to us, why not have the old forum available for archival purposes ?

rdave
    Participant

Well, if there any forward thinking person who archived the forum before it went down, that could pass it along – please send me a PM. Thanks.

doc riley

I’ll get access to the old site which has been "out in storage".

Best,
    :D Doc

rdave
    Participant

Re: OMSA Website discussion

Postby CECawthorne » 2011 Jun Tue 7:55
    Hello Lukasz,

Best Regards,
    Chris
    OMSA Director

It’s been a while since the new website has been up, so I assume that most of the transition is done.

However, there is lots of good information from the old forum that so far is lost (for example today I was looking for some of the old discussions on the MOH and Stolen Valor regulations – and this is just gone now). Since I don’t really expect for a "mining operation" to have enough dedicated resources to get everything (or even most) that might be useful to us, why not have the old forum available for archival purposes ?

It’s been a while since the my last message was posted, so I assume that all of the transition is done and all of the data-mining from the old website forum is done.

However, there is still a lot of old information that was on the old website, and is now totally lost. Why don’t we put back the old website forum as an archive, instead of totally trashing all those years or work ? (And rather than further data-mining that might get done, maybe it’s better to spend the time on new works instead of recompiling the old.)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login