OMSA Website discussion

This topic contains 62 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Clyde Tinklepaugh 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author

felix

Thanks to add me as a member.

On the "publications’ page, if I want to buy a monograph, I only have the "non member" option.

A very good idea to scan the past issues of the JOMSA, but certainly a long work.

Christophe
    Participant

Hi to all,

Just discovering this new version… No comment, as it would be prelmature to do so, only afew minutes after joining the new website…

But…

1. Where is the old stuff ?
    2. No French section or sub-forum ? I was the Moderator of this section in nthe "old" forum and we (a number of members)made a lot to make it clean and clear…
    3. Why the need to change passwords… ?

I will have many more questions and remarks, but as far as today, i’m lost here… :(

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe
    Participant

I understand now what the others meant by censorship…. :evil:
    More than 10 years in OMSA to be censored ? Hmmmm…. :(

Ch.

sirius
    Keymaster

Felix wrote:
    > Thanks to add me as a member.
    >
    > On the "publications’ page, if I want to buy a monograph, I only have
    > the "non member" option.
    >
    > A very good idea to scan the past issues of the JOMSA, but certainly a long
    > work.
    On the main OMSA home page, you should see the pull down menu under Publications with an option to go to the Publications for OMSA Members only.

Cheers, -Peter

sirius
    Keymaster

Christophe wrote:
    > I understand now what the others meant by censorship…. :evil:
    > More than 10 years in OMSA to be censored ? Hmmmm…. :(
    >
    > Ch.

The user ids were copied from the old website where there was no way of indicating if you were an OMSA member or not. In fact the only requirement was a working email address. In the process of transferring, we have tried to identify OMSA members, but this was not possible in many cases, such as yours. We are sorry about this inconvenience, and will get your status updated.
    There is no censorship for anyone, and OMSA members can post without moderation.

Thanks, -Peter

tab
    Participant

I first visited the forum today and I see the usual suspects with the usual (I assume) pictures / icons / avatars displaying with their comments. Mine are not. They were in the old site. Do I need to upload them again? How? My next step is to read the FAQ, but it’s SO much easier to just shout out. Thanks! Tim

John_Allgood
    Keymaster

Tim,

Unfortunately icons and avatars did not make the transition. I am afraid you will have to re-load those parts.

Glad you have made it to the new site.

John

sirius
    Keymaster

In addition to what John mentioned, if you have problems with the avatar, please let us know we’re happy to help. Current limitations are: 11KB and 90x135pixels.

Cheers, -Peter

megan

Further issues. There is no ‘remember me’ function, necessitating logging in every visit. Made worse by the complete mess that is the login page. Here is a screen-shot of what I see:

[attachment=0]omsa-login-page.jpg[/attachment]

Other resources accessed from the top menu – publications, convention and research – suffer similar distortion of content.

Whilst appreciating the need to keep spammers at bay, once it has been seen that a user is genuine, it is conventional professional practice to remove any need for moderation.

Unfortunately the one thing my archiving of the medals database omitted was the date something was posted so comparisions and re-uploads will take longer than I’d like.

Still in favour of a PDF archive of JOMSA, willing to help with the process… and provision of same might even make joining the society something to be considered once I get a job.
    omsa-login-page.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Christophe
    Participant

Thanks Peter, for your answer.

But two of my questions still remain un-answered :

1. Where is the content of the "old" website ? Will it be transferred ? Or is it lost ?

2. Why is there no French section or sub-forum ? I was the Moderator of this section in the "old" forum and we (a number of members)made a lot to make it clean and clear…

Can you help about this ?

Many thanks.

Cheers.

Ch.

sirius
    Keymaster

megan wrote:
    > Further issues. There is no ‘remember me’ function, necessitating logging
    > in every visit. Made worse by the complete mess that is the login page.
    > Here is a screen-shot of what I see:
    >
    > [attachment=0]omsa-login-page.jpg[/attachment]
    >
    > Other resources accessed from the top menu – publications, convention and
    > research – suffer similar distortion of content.
    >

What browser are you using? I suspect it is a very old version of IE. We have tested the website on: IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Blackberry, Iphone, Ipad and the pages display correctly in all of them. You are the only person who have reported this problem. I would like to help, because what you show is clearly not what other people see.

As far as the moderation block for non-OMSA members, we hope to be able to remove it very soon. We have new anti-spamming blocks in place, and so far they seem to work. I’m sorry for the inconvenience for you.

Thanks, -Peter

sirius
    Keymaster

Christophe wrote:
    > Thanks Peter, for your answer.
    >
    > But two of my questions still remain un-answered :
    >
    > 1. Where is the content of the "old" website ? Will it be
    > transferred ? Or is it lost ?
    >
    > 2. Why is there no French section or sub-forum ? I was the Moderator of
    > this section in the "old" forum and we (a number of members)made
    > a lot to make it clean and clear…
    >
    > Can you help about this ?

The old website is not lost, we are actively moving things worth keeping from the old Forum over, including the French sections you worked on. The missing French subsection will be re-created. Stay tuned…..

Cheers, -Peter

Christophe
    Participant

Hi Peter,

Great !!!!!! ;)

Many thanks.

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe
    Participant

Sirius wrote:
    > megan wrote:
    > > Further issues. There is no ‘remember me’ function, necessitating logging
    > > in every visit. Made worse by the complete mess that is the login page.
    > > Here is a screen-shot of what I see:
    > > > >
    >
    > What browser are you using? I suspect it is a very old version of IE. We have tested
    > the website on: IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Blackberry, Iphone, Ipad and the pages
    > display correctly in all of them. You are the only person who have reported this
    > problem. I would like to help, because what you show is clearly not what other people
    > see.
    >

Hi Peter,

I have the same pb as Megan : i have to log in again at each visit. I use IE8…

Cheers.

Ch.

felix

Felix wrote:
    > Another issue, if I’m closing my navigator (Firefox) and open it again to
    > go the OMSA forum I need to log in again (on the older forum, I didn’t need
    > to log in each time) and when logged, I click on the forum page but I’m
    > directed to the homepage.

Already said.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login