My new finds!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2,319 voices, and was last updated by  noor 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

noor
    Participant

Hi,

Here is one new medal what i picked up from Dublin last weekend.
    I don’t know anything about French awards, so any feedback/corrections/information would be great!

Like I understand, this is one of the first French campaign medals?
    There is no maker marks (or I looked wrong place), is it right?
    How common this award is?

Mine shows lots of wear and also ribbon must be new reproduction one. Still nice and old item to have!
    1498302169e109_o.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Medal for the Italian Campaign of 1859.

Maker’s mark? You have the designer’s signature smack on the obverse under Napoleon III’s head.

"Barre", for Désiré-Albert BARRE.

Approx 120,000 medals awarded. This is the standard model of the Monnaie de Paris.

noor
    Participant

Thank you very much for info…. I am blind :mrgreen:

christophe

Hi Timo,

Nice. This medal is the first one (chronologically) of a nice serie of campaign medals of the French Second Empire.

"Barre" is indeed the signature of the designer / engraver of the medal. On some Italian Campaign medals, there is also his specific maker mark, with an anchor (should be on the reverse), and on some others, there is sometimes another mark for the nature of the metal used. So, not so easy, with these old medals… Maker marks can also be on the rim…

About the ribbon : check closely with the database. The one you have is not the right one. It is the one of the Médaille Commémorative de la Grande Guerre 1914-1918 (Commemorative Medal of the War 1914-18).
    This ribbon is quite easy to find if you want to replace it by the real one.

Cheers.

Ch.

felix

The Italy is the first one and the most common second Empire commemorative medal but not the first french commemorative medal.

The "Sainte Hélène" medal awarded to veterans of the revolutionnary and napoleonic wars was instituted in 1857. Before that, some campaign medals were made but not in large scale.

noor
    Participant

Here is my new find! :mrgreen:
    1752829977ea20_l.jpg

Attachments:

noor
    Participant

[attachment=1]175283797c49a0_l.jpg[/attachment]

with the man who established this nice award 1802.

[attachment=0]17528301b5b0d3_l.jpg[/attachment]
    175283797c49a0_l.jpg
    17528301b5b0d3_l.jpg

Attachments:

felix

A nice Second Empire Legion of honour, sad for the enamel chips but it’s not easy to find one undamaged.

Could you make a picture of the hallmark ? (on the knot between the 2 lower arms of the reverse)

noor
    Participant

Thanks Felix.

Here is the picture….
    17532571d2e0ea_l.jpg

Attachments:

Frank Dutil
    Participant

A real beauty! Congrats on your latest acquisition!

felix

The hallmark is certainly a wild boar head (silver).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login