Mothers of Defenders of Liberty

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  fred j borgmann 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Clyde Tinklepaugh
    Participant

The City of Middletown issued a Mothers of Defenders of Liberty medal.Does anyone know what State this was from?
    Thanks,

jb floyd

While there were several Middletown issues, only the Connecticut town shows on my lists as a "Mothers of Defenders" piece.

Clyde Tinklepaugh
    Participant

Thanks Jeff, What other cities and towns issued this medal?

jb floyd

In addition to Connecticut, Middletowns in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island issued WWI medals.

Medals to Mothers come from: Sacramento, CA; Detroit; Metuchen, NJ; Albany County, NY; Buffalo; Erie County, NY; Rochester; Akron, OH; Toledo; Johnstown, PA; Houston and the 32nd Division.

KevinBeyer
    Participant

I have been trying to track down all of the different Mothers of Defenders of Liberty pins that were issued. At last count, I have 6 of them (all displaying only a single star). Is there anywhere online that has photo references for all of them?

Kevin

jb floyd

State and local medals are not well represented on line, even in the OMSA image data base. The old-school books by Dick Planck and Lou Small are probably the only sources available for images.

megan

If people who have such things want to send images I could make a section on my site…

Megan
    http://www.medals.org.uk/

megan

Thanks to Kevin Beyer, who has been kind enough to send me some lovely pictures!

Megan
    http://www.medals.org.uk/

neal gardner
    Participant

Also add Homestead Pennsylvania, Borough of Whitaker…

Neal Gardner OMSA # 7310

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Clyde, I have a Middleton Mothers Star (one star on brooch) and it is definitely from Massachusetts based on the State coat of arms, a standing Indian with a bow and arrows.

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Photo’s;

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login