Illinois National Guard 1st Infantry (131st Inf. ) Gold Long Service Medal

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums American Medal Collecting State, Municipal, and Society Medals Illinois National Guard 1st Infantry (131st Inf. ) Gold Long Service Medal

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  fred j borgmann 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

fred j borgmann
    Participant

This was my major purchase at this year’s OMSA Convention. The reverse is engraved “No. 138 1ST LIEUT. JAMES H. WILKINSON Co. I. 15 YEARS To SEPT. 8 – 1935” and is maker marked WM.SCHRIDDE CHICAGO 10K. Checking my 1940 Illinois National Guard “year book” I found Lt. Wilkinson’s picture next to another Lt. who is wearing his long service medal.
    As a collector I have observed that gold usually represents the highest of multi-class medals. First place usually gets the gold, second gets silver and third gets bronze. This holds true for the Illinois First Infantry long service medals which come in bronze, silver and gold with the gold for only 15 years! The irony is that here we have a gold medal for 15 years service while many of the highest awards for valor like our Medal of Honor and the British Victoria Cross are made in bronze.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Here is the obverse and photo;

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login