Hall marked silver WWI Croix de Guerre

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums French Medal Collecting French Medals post-1870 Hall marked silver WWI Croix de Guerre

This topic contains 1 reply, has 932 voices, and was last updated by  shakethetrees 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello, all,

I thought I posted this years ago, but can’t find it, so here goes again!

I bought a box lot of medals from a local auction a while back, all kinds of things. All the British pieces were named with a majority of them coming from one family c. WWI/WWII. Mostly, though, a lot of table medals from various times and countries, heaped in a box with the interesting stuff.

It turns out that they were part of a large accumulation pulled together over years by a deceased museum curator who I knew pretty well when he was alive. We both knew we each collected (I collected, he accumulated!), but it just never came up.

In the box was an almost pristine WWI CdeG in silver (argent massif). It’s got the boar hallmark right beneath the ball suspender on the two prongs.

It’s dated 1918 and bears a silver star on the ribbon.

My memory/best guess is that it’s a private purchase for a recipient who wanted something of better quality.

I don’t recall ever hearing or reading that it was ever issued in silver.

It’s a really pretty one, as CdeG’s go. I will try to post some images.

I’d be happy to hear any thoughts either way, confirming my supposition or shooting it down!

Thank you,

Shakethetrees

felix

You are right, that’s a private purchase (for those who want/could purchase it). To my knowledge only bronze cdg were issued but if you have money it’s not forbidden to buy a nice one in silver enhanced with diamonds !

They are interesting as they are uncommon.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login