Fireman’s Medal / Médaille d’Honneur des Sapeurs Pompiers

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums French Medal Collecting French Medals post-1870 Fireman’s Medal / Médaille d’Honneur des Sapeurs Pompiers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3,554 voices, and was last updated by  john f. 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

john f.
    Participant

I picked up this French Fireman’s Medal up on eBay and was wondering what exactly it is, what it was awarded for, and what does it’s ribbon look like? I have been unsuccessfully in finding any reference to this medal including the OMSA database or dealer’s websites. I normally like to know what I am buying but with less than 2 hours before the auction was to end I found this medal to be too aesthetically pleasing to let it get by. Any help would be much appreciated.
    French Fire Fighter Medal.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

john f.
    Participant

Just learned from another forum that this medal is a Firman’s Honor Medal (Les médailles d’honneur des Sapeurs Pompiers). Here it is with it’s ribbon.
    French Firemans Medal.jpg

Attachments:

paul wood
    Participant

Yours is the silver-gilt award for 30 or 40 years (the 40 years has a rosette on the ribbon).

All the best,

Paul

christophe

Precision :
    John’s medal is the Fireman’s Honor medal in Gold class (for 30 or 35 years).

Ch.

Pic : http://www.france-phaleristique.com
    pomp2ta.jpg

Attachments:

Frank Dutil
    Participant

What a coincidence, I picked up this puppy this afternoon at a local gun show. I must admit at not knowing that much about it… Am I correct in my thinking it is a "silver medal for special distinction" as denoted by the rosette on the ribbon and the ladder behind the axes…??

[attachment=0]Medaille d Honneur des Sapeurs Pompiers.jpg[/attachment]
    Medaille d Honneur des Sapeurs Pompiers.jpg

Attachments:

christophe

Seems correct. Your version is the one before 1981 (medal and ribbon changed).

Ch.

swera

Thanks for all these details about the WW2 Croix de Guerre. Our messages arrived simultaneously…
    All the points you raised show that there are anough varieties or variations to allow us specific threads… Let’s see how the debate progress…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login