Dept. of Interior Distinguished Service Medal

Orders & Medals Society of America Forums American Medal Collecting Federal Medals Dept. of Interior Distinguished Service Medal

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  fred j borgmann 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Department of Interior Distinguished Service Medal

I recently added a Department of Interior Distinguished Service Medal to my collection. The medal is 14 k gold, 39.8 mm in diameter and weighs 55.2 grams with a plain edge. The reverse is named to “Lyle G. Schedin July 21, 1949.” I researched the medal using Douglas D. Scott’s DOI Awards monograph which is posted on the OMSA site and it raised some new questions for me. First Mr. Schedin’s award is listed with the date of Aug. 30, 1949 and not July 21,1949 as on the medal. Second Mr. Shedin is listed as being in the USFWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) which raises a second question since the USFWS is listed as being organized in 1956, seven years after the 1949 year of the award. Any thoughts?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login