CDVs of French high-rank officers

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2,763 voices, and was last updated by  Christophe 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Christophe
    Participant

Please, post here about CDVs (identified or not) of French high-rank officers : generals, marshals….

Ch.

john f.
    Participant

I’m assuming this distinguished looking gentleman is a French military officer based on his awards. However, what rank and branch of service is he? I’m going to guess that he is a Colonel or higher in the Army.
    French%20Officer.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jb floyd

Uniforms are not my thing, but I think this one is a diplomatic service uniform. The orders he’s wearing are typical for a diplomat in the French foreign service (note there are no campaign medals to accompany them, or Legion of Honor preceeding them).

john f.
    Participant

Jeff,

Thanks! I would have never have guessed French Diplomat.

felix

Yes, a french diplomat wearing the uniform introduced in 1882 for the officials, the black feathers on the hat are characteristics (white for ambassadors and other higher grades). Certainly an early XXth century picture.

First award is the order of the dragoon of Annam, second one is the order of the black star of Benin, I don’t know for the third one.

Christophe
    Participant

The 3rd one is the Order of Nishan El-Iftikar from Tunisia. Officer order with the Ali Bey (1882-1902) monogram.

Ch.

felix

Ooops! i didn’t click on the picture…

ishtiaq

This is very nice post thanks a lot…!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login