Canadian WWI Gold Medal

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  fred j borgmann 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

fred j borgmann
    Participant

[attachment=0]Bentinck469.jpg[/attachment]I have a local Canadian WWI welcome home medal issued by the Ontario town of Bentinck (now part of West Grey) named to H. Schuknicht. Even though the ribbon is missing this medal was with a brooch inscribed “H.S. 112 CO Y” Can anyone tell us what the inscription stands for? The number 112 could be a Battalion but that would be a Nova Scotia CEF unit and the medal’s original owner was from Ontario. Company Y ? H.S. ? Any help? Please! Thanks, Fred
    Bentinck469.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Reverse:
    Bentinck470.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jb floyd

Fred,

Here’s his original attestation document which shows him as Henry John Schuknecht (although he signs it as "Henry Schuknecht"):
    http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/m … ber=217255

The attestation papers aren’t specific about his ultimate unit, but that fact that he was a trainman in civilian life would lead me toward the Canadian Railway Troops or Canadian Engineers, both of which used companies ("Coy" = company). The "FS" part of the inscription may be "Field Service", as in "Field Service 112 Company".

Perhaps someone more attuned to the Engineers can add some detail.

Karen McNabb
    Participant

HI Fred! This is my grandfather from Hanover, Ontario.  He worked for CN Rail his whole life and was with forestry in England during WW1.  My family and I went to France and Belgium this year to the battle sites so we;re always keen to hear and learn more.  My father, Henry´s son Donald, will be amazed to hear that the internet has info about his dad and his medal!  Thanks, Karen McNabb

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Thanks Karen! I never did find out anything about the unit markings on his medal. Based on the Records Jeff Floyd provided I know that the name is miss-spelled on the medal and that he entered service from Hanover, Ont. Regards, Fred

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login