Canadian WWI Gold Medal

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Normore 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

fred j borgmann
    Participant

[attachment=0]Bentinck469.jpg[/attachment]I have a local Canadian WWI welcome home medal issued by the Ontario town of Bentinck (now part of West Grey) named to H. Schuknicht. Even though the ribbon is missing this medal was with a brooch inscribed “H.S. 112 CO Y” Can anyone tell us what the inscription stands for? The number 112 could be a Battalion but that would be a Nova Scotia CEF unit and the medal’s original owner was from Ontario. Company Y ? H.S. ? Any help? Please! Thanks, Fred
    Bentinck469.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Reverse:
    Bentinck470.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jb floyd

Fred,

Here’s his original attestation document which shows him as Henry John Schuknecht (although he signs it as "Henry Schuknecht"):
    http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/m … ber=217255

The attestation papers aren’t specific about his ultimate unit, but that fact that he was a trainman in civilian life would lead me toward the Canadian Railway Troops or Canadian Engineers, both of which used companies ("Coy" = company). The "FS" part of the inscription may be "Field Service", as in "Field Service 112 Company".

Perhaps someone more attuned to the Engineers can add some detail.

Karen McNabb
    Participant

HI Fred! This is my grandfather from Hanover, Ontario.  He worked for CN Rail his whole life and was with forestry in England during WW1.  My family and I went to France and Belgium this year to the battle sites so we;re always keen to hear and learn more.  My father, Henry´s son Donald, will be amazed to hear that the internet has info about his dad and his medal!  Thanks, Karen McNabb

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Thanks Karen! I never did find out anything about the unit markings on his medal. Based on the Records Jeff Floyd provided I know that the name is miss-spelled on the medal and that he entered service from Hanover, Ont. Regards, Fred

Kevin Normore
    Participant

I recently acquired his British War Medal named to 3314406 Pte. H.J. Schuknecht C.O.R.  .  The C.O.R. would be Central Ontario Regiment.  He served in England so he didn’t qualify for a Victory Medal.

A google search brought me to this thread, the uncommon name helped with research.  If the granddaughter who previously posted would like his medal I will give it to her free of charge.

megan

That is a princely offer, Kevin! I hope Karen comes by and sees it… unfortunately we have no way of reaching out to her to let her know about it.

Kevin Normore
    Participant

Sorry to hear that there is no way to reach out to her.  Hopefully she will take a notion to revisit this thread in the future.  It is nice to see medals returned to a family member who would like them which is something I have done once before.  As my name is uncommon the best way for her to contact me would be through facebook.  I reside in Sudbury, Ontario and am a member of the Military Collectors Club of Canada and the Canadian Society of Military Medals and Insignia.

sirius
    Keymaster

Kevin – I have sent you an email.

Cheers, -Peter

Karen McNabb
    Participant

Oh my goodness!  I am not much for going on the computer and what an amazing surprise when I decided to check my email before bed!

To give you some background, my father, Don, and I always talked history and I have always had a keen interest in WW1 and WW2 history, but it wasn’t until I saw this medal posted that we spoke about my grandfather during the war.  My dad had to think long and hard about my grandfather’s role in the war and didn’t know until we researched what the letters on the medal meant as he never spoke about the war. My dad remembers seeing the medal, but has no idea what happened to it after my grandfather went into a nursing home in 1976.  Henry was an old man by the time I was old enough to remember him, but he was always kind and warm hearted.  My dad was very proud of him and loved the life that he gave him, as simple as it was.

My father turns 85 on June 16th and this certainly will be a wonderful gift to look forward to. I  would be more than happy to reimburse you for your generous offer so please let me know how I can repay you for your kindness.

Thank you so much for this unexpected and heartwarming act. I am truly touched, Karen

Kevin Normore
    Participant

Hello Karen.  I’m pleased to read that the forum was able to contact you.  I was provided with your email address and I hope you received the email I sent you.  I acquired the medal from a Kitchener, Ontario coin dealer last month.  I’m looking forward to the medal being reunited with your family and hope to hear from you soon.  No need to reimburse me, just pay it forward by doing a good deed for somebody else.

Kevin Normore
    Participant

Still waiting for Karen to reply to my email.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login